Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Day 3: The Hike


The thing that stuck out most about today was our lunch conversation. We ate at Fontelina again, right on the beach. The meal started quietly, but by the end, I think we all got the giggles. It was one of those family moments that is hard to describe. My mom said it perfectly "Thank G-D we understand eachother" haha I guess you had to be there.

Before the silliness, we were talking about the exchange rate from Dollars to Euros. It is about 1.38 EUR for every 1 USD. The conversation went like this.

The exchange rate is so terrible for Americans. It used to be, that we would come to Italy to get amazing bargains. Thats no longer the case. Europeans now come to New York and splurge on fifth avenue, quite a role reversal. Europeans are also buying apartments in New York. For example, a million dollar apartment would only cost you $600,000 if you were paying in Euros.

NOTE: Edog, you would love this... At lunch, each table has a wooden disc, about the size of a hockey puck. At the end of the meal I was rolling it towards my mom, and she would save it from falling off the edge. It was more funny than it seems, mostly because if the disc fell, it would definately hurt one the people below, tanning. "Caveman Games" This is a modification of E-dogs post meal table games, usually played with crumpled Sweet And Low's, and forks.

Afterwards, I completed the hike from Capri to Anacapri. It is definately the most difficult hike I have ever been on. Navigating through the jagged terrain is not easy in the hot sun, not to mention the steepness. One of my goals this trip was to eat as much squid a possible (Capri is known for some of the best squid in the world) and also, to visit a museum. I have already eaten plenty of squid, so when I got to the top of the mountain, and saw a museum, I knew my trip would then seem complete. The museum was a old villa from last century. The villa once belonged to the expatriate Swede, Axel Munthe who served as physician to the Swedish Royal Family and to Queen Victoria when she resided on Capri. The architecture was beautiful; White marble pillars, accompanied by beautifull arches. The Villa is famous for the maze-like gardens in the back, and also a sculpture of a red Sphynx, looking out into the ocean. There is an old myth, that if you touch the sphynx with your left hand, and make a wish- It will come true. I did touch it, but I never made a wish. I may have to go back. = )


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home