Monday, July 02, 2007

Switch to the Dark Side ?



A bomb was dropped today. Im not talking about the one in Scotland, but rather the blockbuster trade announcement that rocked the National Hockey Leauge. Im not sure if anyone died in the Glasgow attack thank god, but please feel free to correct me.

The story begins like this. Seven years ago, a young Latino man from Alaska fulfilled his life long dream. To get drafted by a Professional Hockey Organization. Scott Gomez became a New Jersey Devil.

Scott was the first player of Hispanic descent to ever play in the NHL. He then took the league by storm, winning the rookie of the year award, along with the coveted, Lord Stanley's Cup.

"Gomer" (his nickname), was also named one of GQ's "Top 50, Most Eligible Bachelors of 2004.

The Devils went on to win the Stanley Cup again in 02'-03' In which Gomez became one of the top players in the league; and had the stats to back it up. As a lifelong Devil fan I feel rather numb in light of recent events, just because I knew this was coming. The real disappointment, is that Scott's departure from the team now marks the ending of an Era, the ending of a Devils Dynasty.

Its been in the works for a few years now. One can only be happy for a guy like Gomez, earning something like 51 million over the next seven years. I'm just pleased that he is going to be playing with a team so close by. The New York Rangers. Which brings me to my next point...

What are the Pro's and Con's of switching to the dark side (becoming a Ranger fan)
I have always respected Ranger hockey, but I have never actually been a Fan.


Pro: The Rangers play 4 blocks from my apartment.

Con: The Uniforms are not as cool.


Pro: The Rangers just got Chris Drury and Scott Gomez.

Con: The Rangers might have a 54 year Hex on them.


Pro: I wouldn't have to travel to Newark to see Devils games.

Con: I would get a lot of slack from die hard Devils fans.


Pro: People would stop screaming Matteau, Matteau, at me, every Ranger game I went to.

Con: I would never be able to chant "1940" ever again.

I think i'm going to try to be a fan of both hockey clubs. I'll keep you posted.

3 Comments:

Blogger scarlet said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:22 AM  
Blogger scarlet said...

Pro: you get to chant "potvin sucks"

8:23 AM  
Blogger Leather Ass Grinder said...

I dont think I will ever understand Tri-Staters

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home