Friday, September 22, 2006

Im Sailing!! Kinda...




The last thing I heard my friend Rich say was, "dont let nature beat you" That sunday we decided to motor sail from Great Neck to Glen Cove LI, N.Y. and back. When we arrived at our destination on this beautiful Sunday afternoon, Rich and I had challenged ourselves to swim from the boat all the way to the shore, which is a debatable quarter mile or so... I was three quarters of the way there and something seemed wrong. I took a quick look back to check if Rich was on my tail, and he was no where to be found. After a few seconds I saw his hand flapping and the top of his head bobbing about thirty yards back. I twisted my body quickly to make a U turn, and began swimming back to help. Apparently Richie swallowed quite a bit of water, lost his buoyancy mid way through the swim. He was quite shaken up, so I helped him tread back to the vessel from which we came. Climbing up the drop ladder, Richie then began to vomit off the side of the boat, repeatedly into the already polluted Long Island Sound. Thats when my friend Gill told me about "Sound Sickness" lol.... apparently "The bacteria in the water cannot penetrate the skin, but if swallowed, can produce flu-like symptoms." I've convinced myself I have a very mild case of sound sickness = ) , And as for Richie, I think he's fine now, think I should give him a call. Just for the record, the story is not about my father Richie, but a dear friend, and thanks again Gill for yet another successfull trip...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home